Monday, January 11, 2016

Ghee



After my husband went dairy free, I was desperate to find an alternative to butter. I tried several substitutes including most of the Earth Balance vegan butters and Smart Balance. They were all...well...gross! I started reading ingredients and I just didn't want to substitute butter (which he couldn't have), for other things that we didn't WANT to have. So after some reading (and googling!), I discovered ghee!





Ghee is butter that has had the solids removed. It's very similar to clarified butter, but it is quite different.


Clarified butter has simply been warmed and had the solids skimmed and separated. Ghee is warmed and cooked until the milk solids separate, turn a toasty golden brown and settle to the bottom of the pan.


Unlike clarified butter, ghee has a warm, nutty, rich flavor. When replacing it for butter, you'll need much less because it is so rich! And yummy! :)


Those that are dairy free can eat ghee because it's the milk solids that most people are allergic to.


So, yay for me! We can have butter again!



But wait...ghee...is SO VERY EXPENSIVE!!! I'm talking $12 for a 12oz. jar!!!! Woah! So, I thought, there must be a way to make it! Off to google I went again and guess what I found?! It's super easy to make!


Let me show you how!


First, it's important to note that you should use UNSALTED butter when you make ghee. I used salted at first and it doesn't come out right, and tastes different.

Put your butter in a pan! Turn the burner on. I usually turn it on high and swirl the butter around until it's all melted. Once it's melted, turn the heat down to low and let it go!!




Very quickly, you'll see white, foamy stuff. That's the milk solids separating from the fat! Woot! At this point you could just skim off the solids as they float to the surface and call it a day, but if you did that, you would miss out on oh so much deliciousness! 

If you've gotten the temperature just right, the butter will look like it sort of has mini volcanos in it. That's perfect! Now, let it go! (but don't forget about it!)


I started my ghee at 11am. At 1:30pm it turned a beautiful golden color and the bits on the bottom were turning brown. I used 2 lbs of butter, so the less butter you start with, the less time it will take. 

I actually probably could have let it go just a little longer, but I didn't. It's still perfect the way it is! 


Pull it off the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes while you get your cheese cloth (or flour sac towel) and jar ready. Skim the solids off the top. I just toss them in the sink. It looks gross, but it'll wash up nicely! Now you're ready to pour! 

I used to use cheese cloth, but after buying several brands and finding the consistency to be different with all of them, I got really annoyed. After all, I'm making this for my husband who is allergic to dairy products. I want to make sure I get every single bit of milk solid out! So....enter, the flour sack towel! Perfect! It has a nice tight weave, so as not to let any solids in, but not so tight that the ghee flows through well. I folded it in half before I put it over the top of the jar. You may want to put a rubber band around the top to hold it on. I didn't need it this time.


Ignore the lime ring on the bottom of the jar! Pour your beautiful golden ghee into the flour sack towel on top of the jar. Be very careful not to get any on yourself. It's super super hot!

Now wait...



If you need to use some of it before it's cooled and hardened, don't use a plastic measuring spoon to scoop it out! I now have a round tablespoon that is...well, not so round! 

A little while later...done! Use in place of oil in any cooking! It has a very high smoke point, so using it to pan fry is excellent! 

Enjoy! 


Please ignore the mess in the jar. Hubby couldn't wait to use it! It's that good!

Give it a try! Let me know how it turns out! 

1 comment: